Visit Yummy Mummy

9/11 - What Freedom Means to Me and Why We Take Pictures

As this post is going up at 8:46am EDT on September 10th, 2011, it is exactly 10 years minus a day since a moment that changed history forever. On the eve of  the 10th anniversary 9/11/01, a day which has possibly become one of the most iconic moments in recent American (and by default possibly, world) history, I am left to ponder what it means to me. Although this is a photography blog, this may be a little (or quite a bit...) off topic. However, as photographs are the path to memories for me and as this day is such a vivid memory for many people, it might not be that far off after all. In fact, I was inspired to write this post after recently being re-acquainted with the heart-wrenchingly vivid cover of Time Magazine that followed that fateful day. The photograph on the cover, taken as the two towers are burning, was captured by Calgary-born and bred Lyle Owerko which led me to ponder what that day must now represent for him in his life. And now, 10 years later, what does it mean to me and all the other citizens of the world?

September 14th, 2001 cover of Time Magazine. Image by Lyle Owerko

I am not an American, I am Canadian. Therefore, I feel a bit like a slight outsider in this tragedy(sort of like a close cousin, I would think). And even so, I do remember that day still quite vividly. I was living in Kelowna at the time. A quite Canadian city with close ties to agriculture past and present. I remember sitting in the small living room of our rented apartment and seeing the images and stories pouring out of New York just moments after it all started. I remember staring aghast at what was happening and at the response of everyone in the face of such tragedy. I remember being quite moved that even though this great event was taking place over 4,500 kilometres away (that's 2,800 miles for my American pals ;), that the whole continent, and even the entire world, was banding together and taking part to deal with the fallout. On that day, all the planes stood still and were directed even to our little local airport to help. And since that day, many from across the continent and across the world have travelled to New York to assist with the healing and rebuilding process. I remember what strength we were all given that day in the face of such horrible tragedy.

Rebuilding Freedom

Since that day, I also remember other things. I remember Americans and all the people of the world banding together for freedom against such tyranny. I remember those same freedoms being limited since then as a result. I remember soldiers being sent off to fight against those who had confessed to being the instigators of these events. I remember the horrors of those that fought to restore a tenuous sense of freedom, now being burdened with sickness. And more recently, I remember seeing a sea of flowers and hearing stories of compassion and love after a similarly senseless attack in Norway.

(Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images) 25/07/2011

I remember this and many other terrorist ventures since that day, across the globe and through all cultures. I remember hearing that the purpose of terrorism is to instill a sense of terror and fear amongst a people for what they believe in. Yes, that day in 2001 was terrifying and has been ever since. Are we still terrified? Have we, as a world-wide village of humanity, found the power and the strength to rise up against this terror? Can we, as individuals living in this village find the strength and compassion to smile in the face of evil? It is my belief that those that died before that day, on that day, and since that day did not do so in vain. We must remember that the right to freedom, whether it be in the US of A, Canada, or anywhere else on this wonderful planet we call home, is sometimes a rather tenuous hold. When you think of freedom, what does it mean? To me, it is the freedom to be who I want to be without fear of oppression (so long as my freedom does not impinge on the freedom of others, as it did in such a grand way on that horribly fateful day). It is the ability to love and be loved without fear.

Freedom to grow and love. (Photo by M. Ummard)

That is what I remember now. I remember to be free and to love. And I try not to forget. It is for this reason that I take pictures and that I am a photographer. The images, the memories and thus the knowlege of the past are the key to our future. It is through images that we gain remembrance of things and people and places and learn to build a better future. I also remember being so glad that myself and my boyfriend at the time (now my husband of 9 years) were safe. And I remember feeling sad for those families that were so tragically affected. Later, as the memorials poured in, I was thankful that there were photographs of those lost to remember them throughout their lives and keep their lights burning. I remember being grateful that I have the opportunity to use the gift of photography to capture the joy and the love of the every day miracles that make a child, an individual or a family unique in who they are. And to capture the wonder of these moments for them, and for all those in the future, to treasure and look back on in remembrance for all time. This is why I love photography and specifically portraiture; it is because of this great art that we are able to achieve true time travel by simply looking at photos of the past. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, we are transported back to the moment that image was captured and enveloped by the wonderment of the person and feelings captured within. It is in this way that those in the photographs achieve a bit of immortality and we remember all that was good and is good and can be great in our little worldly village.
With love, our freedom will prosper. (Image by M. Ummard)
As a great writer over 2000 years ago put it, love your neighbour. "You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Leviticus 19:18), for that is freedom. No one ever said that freedom was easy or that love was easy (in fact, I have heard just the opposite more times than I can count). But I believe it is worth it and that we must strive for it every day. My sincere hope for the future from that day is that it continues to remind all people of the world that we are all neighbours and to fight for the freedom to love. Love; the very thing that was shown by so many around the world in reaction to those events on September 11th, 2001. The very thing that we should be living every day in defiance of the horrors displayed. Love one another and give those around you a little extra hug today, for that is what freedom looks like to me.

Do you remember? Show the power of freedom today by doing a random act of kindness. Or perhaps freedom is saying "I love you" to someone in need. Or share the feeling of freedom by paying it forward (have you ever bought coffee for the next person behind you in the drive through? It's an awesome feeling!).

Feel free to share your thoughts and leave a little blog love below or better yet, spread the love to those around you by sharing this post (just click the "share" buttons at the bottom of this post). You are all beautiful and are the reason why freedom will be forever just.

Cheers! (and love)

lil' mama photog.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Photographer, mother, wife, sister, daughter and loving it all :)